Monday, May 12, 2008

Beginning with an "I"

I read a book recently, The Emperors Children; in it there was a notion that you shouldn't begin a letter with an I, because it is too self-indulgent, too self-involved, and too selfish. But the more I think about it, the more I disagree with the notion. I see the world through my eyes, live life through my existence, and interact with people mostly being myself (okay not mostly, but refreshingly - occasionally). Even a prodigious work of art, a colossal book, a great movie, all portrayals from thinkers, visionaries, are eventually translated through the "I" of my existence.

So if I avoid a beginning with an "I", then I am being dishonest in some way. Trying to mimic something I can never really fathom, for I am (for this life at least) bound by my existence. Shallow and paltry it maybe, it is the greatest book, movie, and piece of art put together in my little boat.

Mona Lisa's smile would never mean to me what it meant to Da Vinci, or even to the lady with the smile (smirk maybe), it would always be a reflection of my current thought and desires at that particular moment. Extracted from that moment, it may reflect boundless melancholy or uninhibited elation.

It's like seeing a great landscape, with that externalized sunset over an expanding ocean. The sunset itself isn't sad or serene, it doesn't feel. The ocean doesn't really speak to you, it is just what it does. It's just the reflection of the cycle of existence, the periodic time-table we live by or try to elude. It is us, this miserable branch of existence, caught in our own selfish pity that give feeling, even meaning to what is otherwise just an everyday thing. In the bigger picture, just as mundane as that guy chewing on his finger-nails, or Ahmed, that falafel cart owner on the 42nd. The sunset, the nail chewer, and Ahmed. It's just that the overall consciousness chose to romanticize the first, shun the second, and completely ignore the third.

Ironic that even our heroes, the leader, the visionary, the single mom of two who lives in the apartment opposite mine, our definitions of selflessness, of belief - they were and are, all of them, just as caught up in themselves. The leader leads as he cannot follow, the visionary envisions as he can't get off his ass and fry himself an egg. And the single mother...

Aah the single mother, the biggest miracle of them all, juggling two jobs, the perverted boss, the thankless teenager, the trusting toddler, and a partially senile mother. She does what she does because she doesn't have time to think, to breathe, to really see what happened. It has just become a challenge for her. God spited her, and now she's spiting back! The teenager screams, the boss grabs her ass, the car won't start, and her mom is out for a walk in the rain at 3 in the morning, but she just goes on. Shouts back at the teenager, ignores the boss, catches the bus, shuttles her mom back. Her anger feeds her, and her mistrust eggs her on.

All caught in their own worlds, go on in this unsynchronized symphony. Above all that, and most importantly, they are all interpreted, evaluated, misunderstood, lost, all in my I...so how can I, then begin my sentences, my letters, my thoughts with anything but an I?

2 comments:

Shahnaz said...

On the contrary...as a counseling student, we are taught that the best way of confronting anyone is to use "I" statements. I feel, I think, I believe... because then we are not actually casting any blame on the other, which is what occurs when we say "you".

Not everyone is aware of that though. When I recently broke up with my significant other I used all my "I" statements. Only to be told that I was self centered and selfish! Because I was only thinking of myself (using "I" statements!!) I was perplexed. Why on earth can't everyone take a skills course in counseling. Then we'd all be on the same page!

Mohican said...

If only things were as simple, a course for counseling, followed by a course for peace and harmony. It's been my experience that people brand you selfish and self-centered when they have nothing else to add to the discussion.

I agree with you though, completely, as it has to be "our" reflections and feelings that lead us to decisions about "our" lives. And there is nothing more honest then deciding to live our lives the way we want to. In a way it's like Janice Joplin's Porsche! :)