Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Coming back

So it's been a while that I've been in the city I love and breathe. It's been a little weird as far as home comings go. First off, I didn't feel the usual tingling that accompanies me on the Ohh so long flight back home. This time it was just getting from one airport to the next, until you get to the airport you set out for. And when I finally got back, I was just in a daze, surrounded by all my family, smiles on their faces, and long drawn stories on their lips. Somehow I feel I am still in that daze...a little lagged out of reality.

It also doesn't help that they've changed my city so much, in just one year. Gone are the roads I grew up on, and learned to drive on. All replaced by quasi highways, with motor cars racing by, avoiding a nest of bicycles, and kids playing cricket. Traffic has somehow gotten ruder with the advent of the roads of the new millennium (which I feel was a bit delayed here). While the traffic now moves at a furious pace, the people are still where I left them. The topics of discussion still remain the same, modern Islam vs traditional Islam, new corrupt politicians vs old corrupt politicians, political and economic uncertainties, etc etc.

Parents are a huge comfort as always, but every time I am sitting with them, I keep thinking about going back. The food poisoning didn't help either. Neither did the lying personnel at Wateen that I dealt with. Wateen is this company that provides high speed internet connectivity, or at least they claim to provide it, and shower you with glorious extensions of truth, and outright lies. All told to make you feel the way they think you want to feel. Like the girl telling the boy she still loves him, when they both know love died a long time ago. The good thing is that little episode is now over.

But still that little daze, and that little discomfort remains, nagging at the back of the mind, like an old injury that never fully heals. I am hoping that the little excursion I am planning with my oldest friends would help. I guess I'd be able to say more about it in 6 days or so.

This is getting depressing...so time to end this to return another day.

3 comments:

sista said...

You are like...this ray of sunshine...motivating me for my own trip...Gah!

But oddly enough, your post is reassuring....what with its references to old injuries and dead love. I swear!

I am a 100% you'll enjoy the next 6 days though - would give a lot to be in your shoes...

See you soon...

"Red" (and a bit green...from envy!)

Shahnaz said...

you're back!

... the post is a little sad and depressing...
but you are BACK!!!

Yaay! you were sorely missed.

hugs

Mohican said...

@ Sista - A Ray of Sunshine, now I haven't been called that in a while (but called that before I have!)

I am looking forward to the next 6 days as well, Nanga Parbat, Deoasai, Baltit Fort, and Feary Meadows, should make for an interesting trip!

@ Shahnaz - Yes, it did get a little depressing didn't it...but hopefull my next post would be filled with excitement and joy! It's good to be back though!