Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Deriving Sense

Somehow it's perceived that as you add years to your real-life experience, you're supposed to develop a better sense of sense. Your awareness barometer is supposed to show a steady increase in value as time goes by. But does this perception really hold any true value? Or is it just like believing in some stereotype and realizing too late what a fool you've made of yourself!

See I've been privileged to be spending a lot of time with our young'uns recently, and their sense of sense amazes me constantly. Sometimes I actually feel that I should sit one of them down (given that they can sit still long enough, amazing reservoirs of energy) and discuss the most complex issues pertaining in my life. It is their instinct to recognize the simplest solution that is remarkable. I guess as we mature and supposedly add more and more convolutions to our brains, this sense to spot the simplest solution (which is almost always the best solution) begins to elude us. As I guess we are in pursuit of solutions of Einstenian proportions.

I was recently watching a serious thriller, where the hero was facing and in turn beating extreme odds when my 4 year old nephew stated, very matter of factly "why doesn't he just stay in his house". And that was it, the best possible solution. Sit back in the comfort of your home, light a cigarette, watch a nice show, and relax in that one comfortable couch...but then, that would have been one dull movie (unless you're a big fan of the crappy reality TV).

I guess as we add years, and hopefully increase our intellect quotient, and develop a far-sighted approach to things, the things right in front of our faces go out of focus, and we end up contemplating the next 80 moves in the game of chess when the game can be won in the very next move...

So much for that, maybe some more at some later stage.

In my other world...Alina begins her mids in two days...Babar plans on a more stable plan for himself...Aijaz keeps fighting the good fight against fatigue and to help the earthquake victims...Naufal gets his visa approved and is on his way to Syracuse...Zeeshan keeps taking those little steps to reach that elusive step where he cuts the ribbon of his new company...Dad recovers from flu...Mom keeps forgetting to take her medicine as if the forgetfulness itself was prescribed by the doctor...And I, well I just keep coping with the new world.

Next time then...

No comments: