Wednesday, February 01, 2006

A Resounding Win---& a foot long smile

Wow! Now what a game that was! 4 days of pure unadulterated fun! I don't remember the last time a test match took me to such tenter-hooks! I mean it didn't even go all the way to complete 5 full days, but it was just excellent!

OK, maybe the undue excitement can be attributed to the fact that we won, I mean that's the reason for the foot long smile on my face, and it refuses to go away! It's just a wonderful feeling!

You know what I feel like right now, I feel like Butch Cassidy in the bicycle scene, where he takes his best friend's sweetheart for a ride in the farm! Raindrops keep falling on my head, they keep falling...

O and yes, it was the biggest win by runs in the history of test cricket. So what did we have in this match from Pakistan's side? An early collapse, 34-6 would you believe. Then an act of defiance against the tides of favour by Akmal (100+), Razzaq (40+) and Shoaib (40+). Then we had a fully carnevourous bowling performance, with all the seamers doing their bit and then some. Follow that up by godly batting in the second innings (the top 7 guys getting at least 50 each, world record btw) including one sparkling hundred by a lad trying to make his way out of his uncle's BIG shadow. And for everyone who said that they're batting so well because the pitch had gotten dead, there was a less then three sessions bowl'em out display to conclude the proceedings, ofcourse it included a glorious batting display surrounded in devestation (Yuvraj going to get his secind test match ton).

The result, you have the biggest win by runs in test history.

Of course there was the end of the match celebration and good ol' Inzi when asked about his back saying "we are fine now!". That one's going to stay with me.

So here's to an exciting conclusion to a test match lost in the first 10 over, and then slowly, painfully, aggressively, labouriously won back! And won back in style.

I'll come back after the euphoria has faded a bit and I've seen the highlights for today (speccially looking forward to Yuvraj's second ton, that should be a treat).

Have fun...

No comments: