Wednesday, February 22, 2006

To Bob Dylan...

Hmm...so today is another day. It's dull, gloomy, sad and depressed. The consistent drizzle, which feels like an unbearable constant from a scientific experiment gone horribly wrong. You can still hear the sound of the wind cutting through the high strung trees of Raleigh. But today the sound is entwined with that of the dogged, persistent rain...

On another day, I would have woken up, looked out the window, and walked out my room, skipping in my walk, whistling the tune of a good love song!

But today...somehow I woke up, looked out the window and I just wanted to keep on looking out. Something was pushing inside of me, urging me to stop moving, stop thinking, perhaps even stop breathing, and just watch the slow downpour merging with the world I live in. Somehow I thought of all the bombs exploding, bullets firing at that very moment. I could hear the laments of a mother losing her child, of true love ripped apart in the name of glory for God! It was like the war had moved into my bed room, and I was in the middle of an insane cross-fire, somehow shielded from physical harm. But every passing moment eroded me emotionally...

And I thought of some Dylan songs. See it's in moments like these when listening to 'Blowing in the wind' helps me find my bearing. Helps me to realize that nothing, no cause nor effect, can ever justify firing a missle! After all, the only thing worth doing in this world is respecting life in its entirety...

Dylan's probably been writing songs and making poetry forever now that appeals to the general common sense, that appeases the mind into a realization of the hopelessness of war.

Here's the song I hum in my head whenever the current affairs of our globe get too much to handle.

Blowin' in the Wind
by Bob Dylan

How many roads must a man walk down
Before you call him a man?
Yes, 'n' how many seas must a white dove sail
Before she sleeps in the sand?
Yes, 'n' how many times must the cannon balls fly
Before they're forever banned?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind,
The answer is blowin' in the wind.

How many years can a mountain exist
Before it's washed to the sea?
Yes, 'n' how many years can some people exist
Before they're allowed to be free?
Yes, 'n' how many times can a man turn his head,
And pretend he just doesn't see?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind,
The answer is blowin' in the wind.

How many times must a man look up
Before he can see the sky?
Yes, 'n' how many ears must one man have
Before he can hear people cry?
Yes, 'n' how many deaths will it take till he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind,
The answer is blowin' in the wind.


I guess the answer really is just blowing in the wind...O I am sad today, and O how I want to wake up tomorrow in a world that is at peace with itself. A world that allows life to prevail. A world free of all prejudice. A world relishing in nature, humming soft cradlesongs to all who inhabit it...

Is there anything more foolish then being foolishly optimistic? But that's what I am right now, and I hope I remain this way for the remainder of my days.

Here's to you Mr. Dylan, for you've been preching something that all of us as a global community should have embraced centuries ago...

No comments: