Monday, March 20, 2006

When it rains...it pours

So it feels like the heavens are emptying their water supplies tonight, I guess they want to recycle the whole load. I don't really remember the last time I walked in such a persistent and adament downpour. One where the raindrops are thick and heavy, and each one of them hits the ground or whatever it can hit with a 'thuddish' plop. And the rain falls to the ground in a perfect array of perpendiculars, unharmed by wind.

It's the sort of rain where even after you've gotten yourself under a sturdy solid roof, you feel that you're getting wet, and those thick drops are thudding on your being, engulfing you in totality, not even sparing a single spot of your soul.

It's like all the Greek, Roman, and Hindu gods got together and decided to have a collosal water fight, and instead of throwing plastic bags full of water at each other, they decided it would suit them more to hurl complete rivers, and as a consequence all of us little fellows trapped within the insanities of this earth got drenched.

If it were a bit warmer, I am quite sure I would have found some excuse to just walk away for a mile or two in the rain, humming all of my favorite oldies, jumping into a puddle of water every now and then.

So I attribute confining myself to the hard labours of work at 12 at night to it being too cold to get wet in the rain.

Ahh...who am I kidding, I'd still love walking into the crazy downpour and witness the excellence of nature rebounding on my being, first-hand! Yes sir, no secondary account would do.

So I completed another book by Michael Cunningham today, "Flesh and Blood". I believe this is the first book he wrote, before "The Hours" and "A Home at the End of the World". It is raw (an observation I take from my good friend Girish), and perhaps the most jerky of his other narratives, and perhaps lacks in a certain finesse, but again his ability to sink into the human psyche left me spell bound, and unable to do anything for a good while. Yes, it is one of those rare and precious books that leave you in a trance lost among the characters, grieving and rejoicing in their losses and accomplishments. Simple stated Mr. Cunningham has the gift of words, which if used appropriately is perhaps even more effective then Superman's x-ray vision, and can look through anything, even lead!

So to anyone who chances by this post, do read any of the three books I've mentioned above. Let me just say that these aren't happy books, these aren't conventional books, they might even be shocking, but yes, as studies of human emotion, I haven't seen anyone do it better.

And let me end by taking a quote that was posted on Vovvi in a recent post, I don't agree with the 11-70 age difference, but yes, there is something to it!

"At the age of eleven or thereabouts women acquire a poise and an ability to handle difficult situations which a man, if he is lucky, manages to achieve somewhere in the later seventies."
-- PG Wodehouse

No comments: