Friday, July 07, 2006

Serenity now!

So a wonderful little vacation over, and finally back into my working groove...

One would think that I'd be thinking of all the wonderful places I visited, and reliving them in my mind. I guess that'd be what a normal person (per say) would do after a vacation. Think of that wonderful tree in the middle of a park, recreate the peace of mind found in that exquisite chapel! But here I am, thinking about this person I ran into on one of the many local train rides.

Let me tell you about this person first, and then I'll get into why I keep thinking about him. So we boarded a train in Boston to head to Harvard Square, and this person comes in and sits close to where I am sitting. In his late forties, he pulls out a Disk-man (is that the correct word? Or is it CD-man? Doesn't really matter though does it!) and a brand new 50 Cent CD with it, still in its plastic wrapper. He tries to rip the plastic cover and fails, and then asks our friend from Boston if she has sharp nails. At that moment Naufal intervenes and takes the CD to help open it. Finally Naufal and I double team to rip the plastic cover by use of our car keys. And the open CD is returned to the person. Now this person puts on these hi-fi headphones (I think they were Sony), which are supposed to drown out all wordly noises and leave you with the "noise" (sorry no other word in my vocabulary to describe 50 Cent) of the album.

He listens to this album for about 15 seconds, takes off his headphones (irritated), and goes on about why one should never buy expensive headphones. Now I understand that not only did he buy a new CD, he also bought the equipment to listen to this CD on the move. So we are looking at a considerable dig into the pockets. Now with every passing moment this person is addressing us in a louder and louder tone, and the surprising thing is that he gets louder in high-spirits, as if he's chasing his overjoyed puppy around the park! It's as if he's had a few too many happy pills. Anyone who commutes frequently would understand that this particualar situation can get quite uncomfortable, you know when someone barges into your space and takes over like he's known you for ages and you're the best of chums!

So we do the only polite thing, and start talking to each other in Urdu, and block out everything outside. See you don't always need 50 dollar headphones and a 50 Cent CD to do that. And our ploy works. Now this person focuses his energy on a kid sitting across from us, who unfortunately rips the corner of a meaningless advert on the train and starts rolling it into a ball (an action not at all in the good graces of our person). And this person takes on the kid quite agressively. Again in a lively and a "game show host" kind of a way. A minute later he has the kid showing him what he's carrying in this carton he's carrying. And the poor kid is taking out things from a professionally packed box to utilize minimum space with maximum items. The saddest thing is that the kid is doing this to convince this person that he doesn't have anything in the box that would blow up! And you know that once he takes stuff out of the box, he won't be able to pack it in again.

At the next stop the kid gets off, and now I am wondering if this was his actual stop, or did he just get off the train for te sake of getting off! And before we can onbserve any further antics of this person, we also get off at the next station.

Now one would say, why do I keep thinking about this person. I don't keep thinking about this gentleman for the things he did and said, even though they weren't all to gentle, but it was just the way he did all these things. In a bright as sunshine sort of a way. As if he'd just come out of the Munchkin land of Oz. Or rather he's in some sitcom where even the saddest of moments are dealt with (in)appropriate punch lines.

I keep thinking about him and wondering what needs to happen to you to bring you to that stage in life. Where you're close to hitting the big five O, and are struggling to become beer buddies with the people on a train in a city where everyone is in a hurry to get off the train and head to their own little egg shells.

I think of this as a big tragedy, and a future that might be in store for any one of the people I know, including myself. I tried to ask my friends if you were asked to write a story about this person, that would end with this person sitting in this train, trying to rip open a 50 Cent CD and ripping a kid apart just because he could, what would your story be like? Would it reach this stage with a Scrooge like indifference, with the three ghosts of christmas past, present and future about to make their visits? Or would it be a tragedy of epic proportions, where a person dissolves into oblivion by the incessant cruelties of our just society? A society which is moulded to honour never standing out (remember the Perfect Citizen by WH Auden)!

And I can't stop thinking about this person. I keep making up these different stories in my mind that all end with this person sitting in this train, doing these particular things, and the camera fading away into a night, shifting from a close to long shot of the train, going off into the night...

And with every story comes a completely new set of causes and effects and their very own retributions. But I guess the biggest fear at the back of my mind is that, am I headed in this same direction? With my baggage of failed relationships and failing relationships, would I be sitting in that train, doing these strange and encroaching things, as the camera fades away into the night! How am I to make sure that the choices I make today, don't take me closer too that tomorrow.

I guess I just want the Frank Capra ending over the ending of say "The Black Narcissus"...

As Cosmo Kramer would say ... "Serenity NOW...Serenity NOW...Serenity NOW" ... I would be willing to pay a considerable price to just be thinking about the falls and the food right now, but I guess you are what you are...

Next time then!

No comments: