Friday, December 23, 2005

Learning how to fly...

I'm standing dead in the center of the rooftop of a 152 story building. A stiff breeze is blowing, and I can see birds of all kinds flying around me. Slowly, but confidently I walk towards the edge of the building. All around me is the metropolitan of high-rise buildings. None as high as the one I'm standing on. Traffic and people on the roads are like fuzzy dots in a faraway dream. The earth is silent, but for the sound of the breeze and of the flapping of the birds wings.

I look about me, not really looking at anything in particular, yet taking in even the minutest details. The smell of the world at that very moment fills me in, into the deepest depths of my existence. I can feel all the hope and joy everyone is feeling then, but then suddenly, without warning all the despair, anguish, grief and anger rushes over me, and the hope fades away amidst all of these angrier emotions...

For a moment everything stops, and is stuck in its own momentary eclipse, as I get up on the boundary wall, and tip-toe to the very limit of the building. A hair's width keeps me on the certainty of the strong steel structure of the building that I stand upon, seperating me from the boundless freedom lying beyond.

Some birds look at me, wondering what a neanderthal is doing on the precipice of freedom. I feel that they mock my being shackled by the chains of gravity, that glues me and billions like me to the surface of this world we so lovingly destroy everyday.

I take in a deep breath, and feel the oxygen filling into my lungs, it's a moment of comprehensive euphoria, suddenly I feel free...free of everything, even the hold of gravity on my soul.

I close my eyes, and let myself go. I let the wind take hold of me, to take me to places far and wide, places that haven't been set foot upon, places hidden from all the searching eyes of life.

I feel the essence of life flow through my body, even the minutest part of my body is suddenly alive, filled with this electrical energy. I open my eyes and the world is a haze about me. Everything seems to be moving at the speed of light, and I seem to be stuck, in the essence of that particular moment.

Finally, at the moment of extreme finalities, I learn to fly...

I learn to let go...

No comments: