Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The first of a kind

I left the States with the notion that I'd be going back in two weeks. A quick trip back home, some family fun, and then back to the work base. However three months down, all I can say is that I cannot help but marvel at the unpredictability of life! A family emergency, some changes in organizational focus, and a Ramadam later, I find myself headed for Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. And the change in destination couldn't have been a bigger contrast. I have spent my last few days applying for visas, and finding out about the kind of Hijaab I would need for Alina. But the good thing is that you can still smoke over there, given that a "shurta" doesn't stop you who might go on offensive yelling "forbidden...forbidden".

But the best thing is that I can go for Umrah, and if luck sides with me, then for Hajj as well...I have my fingers crossed for that, and I have a feeling that God's calling me to His land for exactly this purpose. However there's this whole different agenda of a CRM implementation. But whatever happens, I am sure this would be an experience to remember. With all the contradictory feedback I keep getting, I am not sure if it would be an experience to cherish (about 70% of the ppl I know feel it would be that) or an experience that would make me shiver! My poor colleague who had to spend about 20 hours in jail, still shivers at the mention of it.

But I guess that can be said about any place you visit, given the direction we're taking our world in. I am trying hard these last few posts to keep away from that, for everything just seems like another futile exercise. I guess the key is to live for the completely mundane things. So right now my ambitions reside in watching Babel, buying my first SLR camera (which I keep promising Alina, I won't let her use), and having that perfect cup of coffee. And ever since Naufal went sky diving, I've added that to my list as well.

So once again I am packing all my bags, this time Alina's along with mine, and am getting ready to head off into something that is completely unknown for me. But I guess this is the essence of traveling, going into the true unknown!

Once again I prepare to leave the familiar for the totally new. It would be sad leaving the beloved roads, trees, heck everything of Isloo. But the trick is to think of it in terms of 3 months...3 months and I'll be back here, getting ready with the rest of Isloo to welcome the sweltering summers again.

Camel markets and mud castles, desert sand and crimson skies, here I come...

No comments: