Thursday, November 02, 2006

Optimistic fool!

Sometimes I remind myself of Candide, that foolish optimist created by Voltaire, it's just that I haven't stumbled across lands where gold and diamonds are treated like trash! But right now I am calling myself an optimistic fool because of the state of Pakistani cricket, and the fact that I am still rooting for them in the world cup!

The biggest blow was dealt to me today, with Shoib getting a 2 year ban and Asif walking out with 1 year. But the first ban is very important for me, for that would mean the end of a highly erratic (they don't get any more mercurial then this) career and one of my favaourite cricketing personalities.

Here are a couple of articles about the flawed genius I liked. Why do they feel like obituaries?

The wings, they have been clipped

A tale of intrigue, injuries and incidents

Not only has Shoib's removal dented Pakistan's chances with the world cup, it has indeed lost cricket the biggest showman it had...but still I feel there is hope for this injured side, for it is in adversary that they sail the smoothest!

Yesterday as I sat in the comfort of my home, I too felt like a smooth sailing ship. What was that ship Prince Caspian sailed in the Narnia books? Anyone? Just like that wonderful little ship, facing all sorts of adversity but still amounting to one heck of a journey. It's wonderful how this trance like feeling can just come over you for no reason at all. And then you float away in it, like in a Pink Floyd song specially if you've had some quality weed.

Right now, I am sitting at work, and am trying to recreate that loving feeling, but even though I know how it was, I really can't visualize it in my brain to recreate it. But therein lies the charm of such feelings. Their unexpected arrivals, triggered by the un-named mysteries of this world. Once you feel it, you feel like living forever and ever, just in the hope that it might come again. Like falling in love and how sweet, warm and fuzzy it felt, and then hanging on to that love in the hope to encounter that loving feeling all over again!

Next time then...

No comments: