Wednesday, December 29, 2004

A dawning new year and nature's wrath

Another years tumbles and rumbles while running to an end. A year gone by in a flash. It still feels like the 1st of January, and waking up in a strange apartment! Having a warm mug of coffee at the small little cafe and sharing with my best bud (yes Zeehsan that's you) the exciting possibilities this new year brings! And now it's December, and the very end of it! Wow!

The year's been fairly good, I mean no serious bruises or crashes, just a somehwat merry ride through the whirl-wind 365 days. Some days excellent, some terrible, but most just out right indifferent. Many memories from small moments this year will hopefully stick with me forever, and many, hopefully I would forget, in time. Sighting a deer in the backyard at the earliest hours of a chilly morning, and staring blanky at the roof of a room, lost in a perilious quest for that ellusive bit of the peace of mind. Finding strength in someone's eyes, and finding out first-hand what Julies Ceaser meant when he said what he said before it all ended for him, you too.... Somehow every year turns into an amalgum of such memories, memories that you cherish, and memories that wake you up in the middle of the night drenched in sweat.

I just wish the year hadn't come to a conclusion being witness to perhaps one of the most catastrophic displays of nature's wrath. More then 23,000 dead in South Asia (mostly Srilanka, India, and Indonesia) due to a series of tsunamis that came without any warning (due to the strongest earthquake ever guaged), but perhaps a deep gut feeling of something terrible about to happen. But I guess most of the people who felt this gut feeling would feel no more, ever! After a long time I saw the news for nearly half a day at a stretch, and finally got up when I couldn't see another dead child being carried away, another woman beating her chest screaming at the skies as if waiting for an answer, another man breathing, but lost in death's tow.

It felt to me like a reminder from nature as to what really matters at the end. It's not the dream job that we work ourselves to exhaustion for. It's not the clothes we buy, or the cars we fantasize about. It's not about tall sky scrapers that we build. But at the end I feel it's about still being able to feel hurt and crushed just because someone else somewhere got hurt, got crushed. But still as humanity we keep the killing rampage alive. Thousands dead, people who don't even know each other going at it with everything to bring the other to an untimely end. Incredible really how in so many ways we are still stuck in that stone age, where murder happened for the best part of the animal's dead body. Nothing's changed but the clothes, and some cologne.

Here's wishing a peaceful new year to all of us, where the crazed fucking leaders of this high-tech world get some sense, and appreciate life for what it is. Just life!

Gone now...

3 comments:

Angela said...

Hey Mohican, thanks for reading my blog and commenting on it. I'm totally new to blogging so how did you find me? And what interested you in my blog enough to read it?

I enjoyed reading a bit of yours too. The zoo of your mind is an intelligent place to be. Whereas the zoo of my mind is simply a zoo. You're a great writer.

Mohican said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mohican said...

Well you are most welcome, and thank you for complimenting my zoo (and believe me all zoos are intelligent places to be)!

To answer your questions, I found your blog while randomly surfing the "Next Blogs". And why I read your blog, well because it was interesting, plus you don't often run into people who share your nostalgia that this world would be a much better place if we had no armies!

Good Luck!